So…. here we are. How did we get here?
If you’re reading this now, you’re probably insanely bored, or I’ve managed to spam the Twitter / Linkedin feed you were scrolling on. Either way, I’m glad you’re here.
For those of you who may not know. My name is CJ Mayes. My background includes studying BSC Economics at University of Reading (U.K) before starting my career as an analyst at Lloyds Banking Group in London. I Joined Tableau Public in March of 2020. Since then I have had the pleasure of being named a Tableau Public Featured Author in October 2020
I’ve been toying with the idea of a blog for a while but commitment fear and need for consistent content put me off slightly to begin with. But, with all good new years resolutions, you should start them early or they are destined to fail. It seemed like a logical step having done a few guest blogs this year, which were greeted with such a warm reception.
What made me finally bite the bullet was the community I’m surrounded by, the eagerness to develop and learn, and knowing that if others in the community didn’t have blogs, I probably wouldn’t have fallen into Tableau in the first place. I hope this blog will go someway to repaying the community. If you’d like to find a more lengthy discussion on what the community means to me head over to Adam Mico’s interview, here.
For me personally, it’s going to be a fantastic opportunity to create a catalog of templates that mirrors my portfolio of work. It also brings with it the ability to share ideas and shine a light on other authors work – where I will do a summary of a few favourites, from each month.
A few Quick fire questions to end:
- Why are you blogging publicly, rather than keeping a personal journal?
- Personal journal’s are great but only you benefit from them. I do keep a personal journal too, but it extends far beyond Data. I’d recommend both. It’s good to capture where I started, and be able to document the journey as a part of that.
- What kickstarted you using Tableau Public?
- It was a combination of a few of the LBG team (Marc & Amar at the time – I saw some of the great stuff they were doing, and the pace that they continually develop) Safe to say they have drastically impacted the organisation for good.
- Also, I was fortunate enough to meet Thi (Ambassador) early on who gave great words of encouragement, I won’t forget it. I was too embarrassed to post some of my initial dashboards so would privately reach out for feedback. Thi really spurred me on to continue. Things slowly evolved from there. Thanks Thi.
- What topics do you think you’ll write about?
- Data bits and bobs (Technical term). Mainly Tableau, probably the odd template, monthly summary of work and things I like in the community. Maybe the odd tips and trick that help me. I’d like to showcase others talents as much as possible.
- Who would you love to connect with via your blog?
- Anyone and everyone.
& that’s me. Hope you can join me on this journey. I’m super excited.